Saturday, June 05, 2004

What's the point?

Random thoughts

It really confuses me when people don't get subjectivity. Statements like "Song x is bad" or "Band Y is the best in the world" really mean "I don't like it" and "I like them".

Last night we rehearsed. It started off pretty rocky, ragged and out of time, mistakes-a-plenty. 3/4 of the way we settled down and things got better. At least that's what I thought. The first time I felt "Yah, we nailed that one." I looked around and saw my band mates shaking their heads in obvious disgust.

If the people who created the tune can't agree if it's shite, what's the point in making value judgments?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The thing about value judgements is that they are commercial--one sells them (if one is any good at it). "I don't like it" put in very fancy language (throwing in theoretical jargon is good for this) can get you published; if enough people buy it, it also gives you a reputation for great insight. It's all a matter of capital. Truth . . . well, that's something else entirely.